Complacency is a subtle yet powerful tool of the enemy that keeps us from carrying out our destiny and living a fruitful, spirit-filled life. At times during our Christian walk convenience can lead us to become neutral, unstirred or unmoved, with no emotion to a greater purpose than our everyday lives. Rather than settling for convenient routine, we as followers of Christ must remember that we are temples of the Hold Spirit. Called to be on fire for God because the Holy Spirit, given to us as a precious gift, lives in us.
Matthew 3:11 – “I baptise with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.“
The fire of God is all consuming; not only does it elevate our worship and prayer life, but also burns away the weeds or habits in our lives that stagnate our spiritual walk. We must be careful to never let this fire burn out [Leviticus 6:12–13], to be more than spectators in our daily walk, to show passion in an age of indifference.
Living in these times with so much information and very little emotion, how can we Christians maintain our passion, enthusiasm and excitement for God? I challenge you to make the choice to apply these practical changes below to keep God’s fire burning in your life:
- Be Committed to and Belong to a Local Church A place where you are fed spiritually, a place where you are joined together with other believers
- Be a Person of the Word Read, read, read!
- Be a Person of Daily Devotional Prayer A place to feed your spirit, a place to renew your mind
- Be a Fervent Worshipper of the Lord Jesus Worship with passion
- Worship with emotion and heart. Worship with spiritual understanding
- Worship with faith. Worship with joy
- Be a Person with a Clean Spirit
- Be a forgiving person – no offenses, no grudges, no bitterness. Let it all go!